June 12, 2008

june 12

It is already two thirty in the morning of June 7, 2008. I am still awake for no reason. I just wanted to keep my eyes open until my brain tells me to close it. I would like to challenge my brain, my tired eyes and my body. I am too sleepy but I do not want to sleep. All I want is to write something. Here is what I have in my mind:

June 12 will be a very special day to each and every Filipino. This will be the 110th anniversary of Philippine independence from Spaniards. After over of three years of solitude, a young general named, Emilio Aguinaldo waved the Philippine flag in the balcony of his mansion in Kawit, Cavite – first in whole of Asian continent. This is a very special day too for some other Filipino patriots like Julian Felipe and Jose Palma for they have composed the infamous Philippine national anthem. Up to now, we still use these Filipino symbols with honor and dignity. Truly, the generations passed this tradition - a complete submission of bravery and loyalty to independence. However, are we really free? Do others treat these symbols as signs alone and nothing else?

Every time we watch an early or late movies, there is this portion that we get to sing Lupang Hinirang, not everyone stands up to show some courteous gesture. Are they lazy enough or they just do not treat the emblem with respect? One time during a date - we were too late for the 7 o’clock time so we ended up catching the last full show - the familiar sound began to play. I stood up with great honor and pride. However, she remained seated. I asked her why she stayed behind, she replied “Wala namang nakakakita.”.

In this very moment, how many of us Filipinos are loosing their hope that someday this country will change? It is sad, indeed. But being sad alone will not change the current situation of our country. We have to fight for we are warriors by nature. Honestly, I pity on those who loses hope for they could not see the amazing facts that there hope if we open to all opportunities.

As a CaviteÅ„o by heart and by deed, I feel so proud every time the whole country commemorates the Independence Day Declaration. This annual celebration should bring optimism and uplift the morale of us Filipinos. I am currently on my late 20’s and it was at this age when Jose P. Rizal wrote the ever famous Noli Me Tangere. So what is the difference between the heroes that I have mentioned above against us today? (whew!…a hard question) Personally, the answer on the question lies on how proud we are to be a Filipino. We are proud to be Pinoy, there is no question to that, but the degree is different. Maybe because of the situations are also different - I do not know - but the main point is they love the Philippines more than we do. If we are proud to be Pinoy, we can do everything. We can be one. We can be united. We can achieve our freedom.

0 comments:

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Buy Coupons